About Our School
Patrick Henry K-8 School is located in the west end of the city of Alexandria, seven miles from the nation's capital. Patrick Henry is on a fifteen-acre site in a valley that was once woodlands. A new state-of-the-art school facility opened in January 2019 while the school simultaneously transitioned from an elementary program to a K-8 program. The new Patrick Henry School facility has received awards and recognition for its design and environmental features. The Patrick Henry Recreation Center adjoins the school. The new Patrick Henry K-8 School replaces the former Patrick Henry Elementary School that opened in September of 1953. The school serves as a community hub for activities and sporting events.
Patrick Henry K-8 School is committed to advancing student growth by providing an environment that is conducive to high levels of student achievement, academic rigor, and parental and community engagement.
The Patrick Henry community takes pride in the school's rich cultural diversity, unique K-8 learning environment, and strong focus on individual academic student success. The faculty and staff at Patrick Henry focus on the success of the whole child by fostering self-efficacy, resilience and resourcefulness. Each staff member works diligently to ensure every student has opportunities that support and nurture them to reach and exceed their full potential. Every day at Patrick Henry School is a celebration of effort that results in success for our students.
8:00 a.m.–2:35 p.m.
- Academic, Effort and Citizenship Awards Assemblies
- Back-to-School Night
- Fall and Spring Book Fairs
- Field Day
- Literacy Night
- STEAM Night
- Heritage Night
- Literacy Parade
- Go Green Days
- Spring Dance Recital and Concert
- RIF Book Giveaway
- Science Fair
- Middle School Lock-In
- Career Day
- Hour of Code
- PBIS Quarterly Events
- ACPS Poetry Contest for 3rd-8th Grade
- Campagna Center-Before and Extended Day
- Alexandria City Recreation Center-Extended Day at Patrick Henry Recreation Center
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Guide Right Program
Patrick Henry Data
Patrick Henry K-8 School is fully accredited. To learn more, review the Virginia School Quality Profile on the Virginia Department of Education website or review recent test scores.
Student Body Demographics
- American Indian or Alaska Native: 0%
- Asian: 14%
- Black or African American: 41%
- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander: 2%
- White: 14%
- Hispanic: 24%
- Multi-racial: 5%
- Eligible for free or reduced price meals: 67.4%
- Students requiring English Learners (EL) services: 41%
- Students receiving special education services: 7%